Doctor Mentor's Alternative Careers Support
Doctors who are aware of non-clinical career options can be better equipped to navigate the evolving healthcare landscape and contribute to the improvement of the industry as a whole.
Knowing about non-clinical career options can help doctors diversify their skills and expertise. This can help them adapt to changes in the healthcare industry and broaden their career opportunities. The healthcare industry is constantly evolving, and doctors may need to transition to non-clinical careers for various reasons, such as burnout, family obligations, or other personal reasons. Being aware of non-clinical career options can provide doctors with more flexibility in their career choices. Non-clinical careers in healthcare, such as healthcare administration, policy, and management, play an important role in the delivery of healthcare services. Doctors who are aware of these roles can gain a better understanding of the healthcare industry as a whole and contribute to its improvement. Knowing about non-clinical career options can also inspire doctors to pursue entrepreneurial ventures or innovative solutions to healthcare challenges. They may identify opportunities for new products or services that can improve patient care or address gaps in the healthcare system.
Doctor Mentor's Alternative Careers Support Service
Our Alternative Careers Support Programme provides experienced mentors, individualised support, professional development opportunities, networking opportunities, long-term support, accountability and goal setting. Our programme can help doctors build successful and fulfilling careers by exploring a huge range of options alongside clinical medicine. Our programme includes exploration of the following non-clinical career options for doctors:
- Medical Writing and Editing: Medical writers and editors create and edit a wide range of medical materials, including scientific papers, research reports, clinical trial documentation, and patient education materials.
- Medical Research: Doctors can conduct medical research to help develop new treatments, therapies, and technologies to improve patient outcomes and advance medical knowledge.
- Healthcare Administration: Healthcare administrators manage and oversee the operations of healthcare facilities, including hospitals, clinics, and medical practices.
- Medical Education: Doctors can become medical educators and teach medical students, residents, and other healthcare professionals.
- Medical Consulting: Medical consultants provide expert advice and guidance to healthcare organisations, government agencies, and other stakeholders in the healthcare industry.
- Public Health: Doctors can work in public health to promote disease prevention, health promotion, and healthcare policy development.
- Medical Informatics: Medical informatics involves the use of technology and data to improve healthcare delivery and patient outcomes.
- Pharmaceutical Industry: Doctors can work for pharmaceutical companies to develop, test, and market new drugs and medical devices.
- Medical Journalism: Medical journalists report on health and medical news for a wide range of media outlets, including newspapers, magazines, and online publications.
- Medical Entrepreneurship: Doctors can start their own businesses, including medical practices, healthcare technology companies, and medical device manufacturers.
- Medical Transcription: Medical transcriptionists transcribe doctors’ dictated notes and create medical reports and documentation.
- Medical Sales: Doctors can work in medical sales to sell medical products and services to healthcare organisations and individual healthcare professionals.
Personalise your Mentoring Needs with Doctor Mentor
Explore our core curriculum and personalise the mentoring programme by choosing which areas you would like to focus on. Each curriculum topic is delivered across a variety of platforms, to provide you with choice. These include in-person and virtual events, e-learning videos with our virtual avatar Chief Mentors, online blogs and podcasts. The aim is to help you develop confidence by learning about a topic, giving you the opportunity to put those skills in action, and then mentor others in the skill that you have now mastered!
CV Boosting Opportunities
We understand that an important component of a doctor’s wellbeing is to feel fulfilled and be successful at work. This can be very difficult with the heavy workloads that are placed upon us. Which is why we have created a suite of national portfolio opportunities that are easy for any doctor to access. We can also provide you with personal mentoring and guidance to up-skill in areas that you want to develop and a suite of online resources for flexible support that you can access when it is convenient for you.